Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Pier and Beach Bunkers

Libby was fascinated by the cracks on the pier. Don't know if she was afraid of them or what but she definitely tried to avoid stepping on them.

The Beach Bunker and Liberty chilling out. She and I stayed down at the bottom THIS TIME. We'd been up there on the first day of our trip and I had my first ever experience of being frozen with fear. Really! I was going up a narrow stair to the third level with Liberty in front of me (there wasn't room for side by side) so I was holding her hands and helping her step up. There were no railings on the stairs, just a sheer drop to the cement surface below. We got like three steps from the top and I looked down beside me and I panicked. I was completely frozen with fear, knowing that Liberty and I could plunge right over the side of the steps with one false move or a little trip and we would be dead or terribly injured. I couldn't move. Couldn't take the three steps UP. I searched my brain for a way out and stiffly and fearfully picked Liberty up and leaned against the wall to turn around slowly. Then I held her fast in front of me and got down as carefully as I could. My heart was beating ferociously inside my chest and I could barely breathe. I've NEVER had that experience before. Then there was the fear induced adrenaline rush that took a little while to calm down from. The years that we've previously explored the bunkers (sans kids) I ran up and down those stairs, never giving it a thought. Very strange experience that I hope to never repeat!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment